Tuesday, November 27, 2018

Theme Park Responses

Pirates of the Caribbean
The experience was pretty immersive. I found the story to be pretty captivating. Probably my favorite part was Jack Sparrow's introduction where he starts off looking like a skeleton and transforms into his human form. It was a pretty convincing effect and I was surprised to see it. Some parts like the blue cavern I tended to zone out and didn't really grasp or retain. There was a lot of screen animation which would've been fine, but I felt like there could've been more 4D effects. When the ships emerged, I would've liked to have seen some water splashing or spraying the riders, to really submerse them into the experience. I did like the climactic battle, can the cannon shot into the water was a nice touch–I just wished there was more of that.

The connection of the work I was able to make was a recreation, or at least similar storylines to the second Pirates of the Caribbean movie, which is about Davy Jones going after Jack Sparrow for his debt to him. We see elements of the movie in the ride, like the Kraken and the rise of the flying Dutchman.  I think it's interesting that in this ride we actually get to see a full view of the Kraken when in the movies, we only see parts of it. Having seen the movies, I was able to connect all the plot points from the movies with the ride and it made it a much better experience, in my opinion.

Another median that I would adapt this into would be a graphic novel. The same scenes would be illustrated in the graphic novel. And to keep the forward momentum, the sequences of the panels would merge into one another. To add the immersive elements to the comic, I would have the water and explosive elements run outside of the panel gutters and surround the frames. 

No comments:

Post a Comment